/// Highest testing safety & usability.*
The AscTec Firefly** is the most advanced UAV of the AscTec Research Line. The hexacopter is redundant and offers the researcher vibration damped slots for various payloads. High quality production standards ensure that our products are reliable and safe.
/// Essential flight system characteristics.
- The inertial guidance system provides highest precision through advanced sensor components and two microprocessors.
- The control unit offers highest flexibility. Latest interfaces simplify the implementation of your own c-code algorithms.
- The Low Level Processor (LLP) ensures a highly stable flight behavior of your flight system: The LLP is the data controller, processes all sensor data and performs the data fusion of all relevant information with an update rate of 1 kHz!
- The High Level Processor (HLP) controls your flight system according to your C-code: Take control over the flight system with your control algorithms.
- Safe testing thanks to the Safety Switch function: While testing your control commands and maneuvers, you can simply switch back into safe mode and the proven AscTec AutoPilot takes over.
/// Key features of the flying robot.
- Made in Germany. Innovation and manufacturing from Bavaria. We develop and produce in-house – essential hard- and software is made by Ascending Technologies.
- Maximum performance & safety. The redundant 6-rotor propulsion system is very robust and guarantees a stable flight.
- Minimum of weight & size. Highest precision and controllability.
- Transportable fully assembled and ready to receive your code.
- Low-noise, emission-free and environmentally friendly operation. The energy-efficient engines work with only 100 Watt per motor.
- Great reliability: The AscTec Firefly is proven and tested as a useful research tool in challenging conditions.
/// The Frame-in-frame concept of the flight system.
It was engineered for highest safety and easy handling; hence it is perfect for your automated flight experiments. Besides the small nonhazardous propellers and low takeoff weight, it comes with a patented redundant propulsion system, which allows a controlled flight with only 5 rotors. The modular structure enables fast component exchanges in case of a crash or modification during integration and testing. The “frame-in-frame” concept is designed to decouple the fixed connection of payload and IMU from the vibration-inducing motors. This concept raises the quality of the sensor and camera data and prevents dynamic misalignments.
/// UAS Specifications:
/// UAS onboard computer FAQ:
/// Fields of UAS research:
- Computer Vision.
- Automated flight experiments.
- Optical distance measurement (LiDAR – Light Detection And Ranging & LaDAR – Laser Detection And Ranging).
- Autonomy and automation of outdoor navigation.
- Autonomy and automation of indoor navigation.
/// Available UAS payloads & options:
- AscTec Mastermind + Camera Mount Option 1 or 2
- AscTec Atomboard + Camera Mount Option 1, 2 or 4 + Laser Scanner Mount
- 3D sensor for SLAM
- Propeller protection
/// Wireless communication:
- 2.4 GHz XBee link 10–63 mW
- WiFi (optional)
/// See for yourself …
* Programming and flight technique knowledge are required for the practical operation of our research flight systems. Please notice that some substantial information is only available in English.
** This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. These devices are not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, in the United States until authorization is obtained. However, the research devices, Pelican, Hummingbird and Firefly, may be sold or leased in the United States as an evaluation kit to allow product developers to evaluate electronic components, circuitry, or software associated with the kit to determine whether to incorporate such items in a finished product and to software developers to write software applications for use with the end product. This evaluation kit is not a finished product and when assembled may not be resold or otherwise marketed in the United States unless all required FCC equipment authorizations are first obtained. Operation is subject to the condition that this product not cause harmful interference to licensed radio stations and that this product accept harmful interference.